ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHING & LEARNING (ADECT)
The ADECT programme aims to deepen the pedagogical knowledge and skills of experienced Pre-school Educators, and prepare them for the role of teacher leadership1. It is a part-time programme offered by the National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC), and there are two intakes a year (April and October).
Early childhood (EC) educators may select one of the following options to enrol2:
- Option A: ADECT Full Qualification
- Option B : Modularised Structure
1An early childhood educator who takes on teacher leadship is focused on developing high quality teaching and learning within his/her centre and/or the sector. The early childhood educator is a pedagogical change agent, building teaching and learning capacity through bringing to the fore effective teaching and learning practices. He/She is proficient in facilitating learning, doing so through various means such as professional/netoworked learning communitites.
2Further information on options to enroll can be found under ‘Programme Details’.
The ADECT aims to equip experienced Pre-school Educators with skills and competencies to:
- Evaluate issues and practices in early childhood services with the understanding of research in pedagogy and curriculum
- Provide leadership in the design and implementation of a holistic curriculum and the development of teaching and learning practices
- Lead in the review of pedagogy, practices, curriculum design, and assessment for the holistic development of children
- Foster a culture of reflectiveness, collaboration, continuous learning and professionalism
- Develop and lead teachers in partnerships and sustained collaboration with stakeholders
|Option A: ADECT Full Qualification||Option B: Modularised Structure|
3The list of ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education will be determined by ECDA, and will be subjected to review periodically. Some examples of current ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education are:
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education – Teaching (DECCE-T)
- Diploma in Child Psychology & Early Education (CPEE)
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education (ECH)
- Diploma in Preschool Education – Teaching & Leadership (DPE- T&L)
- Specialist Diploma in Preschool Education (SDPE)
- Specialist Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (SDECCE)
- Diploma in Early Childhood Studies (ECS)
- Diploma in Psychology Studies with Specialist Diploma in Early Childhood Teaching
- Diploma (Conversion) in Kindergarten Education Teaching (NVKET)
- Advanced Diploma in Kindergarten Education Teaching (ADKET)
- Diploma in Early Childhood Studies (SIM)
- Diploma in Early Years Teaching
- WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (WSQ PDECCE)
- WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (Childcare) (WSQ&PDECCECC)
- Diploma in Preschool Education - Teaching (DPE-T)
4The number of years of trained teaching experience will be calculated from the date of the applicant is conferred or awarded the ECDA-recognised diploma in early childhood care and education. All trained teaching experience has to be within the Early Childhood sector.
|Option A: ADECT Full Qualification||Option B : Modularised Structure|
Experienced educators keen to obtain a full qualification in the ADECT programme.
Graduates of the ADECT programme can assume the role of a Lead Educator after graduation, as long as there is a vacancy available at a centre.
|Experienced educators keen on learning about fundamentals of EC leadership through a modular course.|
|Duration:||480 hours||180 hours for PDC1|
|Mode of Application:||Online application at NIEC's website only.||Online application at NIEC's website only.|
Refer to attachment for further information on the approved list of Modular Courses that are recognised as electives for the ADECT programme. Please note that the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership (PDC), found on page ix of Annex C, is the first PDC of the ADECT programme, and will not be considered an elective (and will not be computed as part of the 120 hours requirement).
Please be informed that commencement of each elective is dependent on the demand for the course.
The list of electives will be updated regularly with new modular courses. Please download ECDA’s prospectus for the latest update.
Option A: Full Enrolment into the ADECT
Educators who are keen to pursue the ADECT programme may apply at NIEC's website.
Option B: Enrolment into the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership
EC educators who are keen to pursue the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership (PDC 1 of the ADECT & ADECL programmes) as a CPD course may apply at NIEC's website.
Vacancies for candidates to pursue the PDC in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership as a CPD course are subject to availability, and will be based on the demand for full enrolment into the ADECT and ADECL programmes.
For queries regarding application for the ADECT, please email NIEC at email@example.com.