ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTRE LEADERSHIP (ALSO KNOWN AS THE REVISED ADECL)
With the launch of the refreshed Skills Framework for Early Childhood (SFw) in Oct 2021 and the Leadership Development Framework (LDF) in Mar 2022, ECDA has worked with the National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC) to revise the content of the Advanced Diploma in Early Childhood Centre Leadership to be in line with the SFw and LDF.
Who is revised ADECL for?
The refreshed SFw has expanded the leadership roles and allow senior educators to aspire towards new job roles such as the Lead Early Years Educator, Deputy Centre Leader, and Curriculum/Pedagogy Specialist. As such, the revised ADECL will be made available to EC educators appointed in senior, deputy lead, or lead roles to help prepare them for centre leadership.
NIEC will admit the first intake of this 18-month revised ADECL in April 2023. There are two intakes a year – in April and October.
Key changes in the revised ADECL content
Some of the content changes that students can look forward to in the revised ADECL are:
- 2 Professional Development Certificates (PDCs) instead of 3
- Reduction in total hours from 850 hours to 818 hours
- More application- based to help strengthen theoretical understanding
- 3 full-time modules
- Group coaching
At the end of the Revised ADECL programme, participants can expect to achieve the following learning outcomes:
The ADECL aims to equip candidates to:
a) Develop a good foundation in Curriculum & Pedagogical Leadership
- Build quality learning environments and lead in evaluating and formulating curriculum designs and pedagogical approaches that provide holistic and meaningful learning experience and quality care for children of various groups (2 months to six years old), needs and abilities, to align with trends, best practices, and frameworks.
- Support a culture of diversity and inclusion in the centre.
b) Acquire the competencies to lead centres in Strategic & Administrative Leadership
- Guide centre team to align programmes and goals to the organisation’s vision, mission and values;
- Design processes for engagement and collaborative practices to enhance care and education of all children and establish trusting and respectful relationships with families and the community;
- Develop strategies for centre team’s continual professional learning and reflective practice for change, improvement and innovation;
- Lead the centre to maintain ethical standards as per AECES Code of Ethics;
- Develop systems, processes, and guidelines for centres to operate effectively (including areas of HR and financial management) and to meet relevant regulatory and quality standards.
c) Develop core competencies to lead teams and centre operations
- Develop confidence in communication and digital literacy;
- Demonstrate self-management, resilience, critical thinking, and decision making.
For info on other changes to the revised ADECL, please refer to the FAQ on revised ADECL.
|Option A: ADECL Full Qualification||Option B : Modularised Structure|
|Target Group:||Experienced educators keen to obtain a full qualification in EC leadership, to become Centre Leaders.||Experienced educators keen to learn the fundamentals of EC leadership through a modular course.|
|Duration:||818 hours||303 hours for PDC1|
|Mode of Application:||Nomination via NIEC. More details can be found on NIEC’s website.
*The mode of application for ADECL Full Qualification is by nomination only. The nominator has the prerogative to withdraw the nominee’s nomination for ADECL if he/she is assessed to be unsuitable to continue with the course or resigns from the company.
|Online application at NIEC website only.
No nomination is required for PDC 1 as CPD. Nomination is only required when candidates decide to enroll in the ADECL full qualification upon completion of PDC 1 modules.
|ADECL Intake||Nomination period|
|Apr 2023 (1st Intake)|
[Nomination will open on 10 Oct 2022]
|10 Oct to 25 Nov 2022|
e-Nomination form (found on NIEC's website) to be completed by 25 Nov 2022 (5pm)
|Campus:||NIEC (NP)||NIEC (TP)|
|Schedule:||Mon, Wed & Fri
There are 3 full-time## modules which participants have to attend:PDC1
* Course schedule and venue are subject to changes. NIEC reserves the right to reschedule/cancel any programme and amend information without prior notice.
## Class will be from 10am - 5pm for these 3 modules.
You have two options to choose in taking ADECL and must meet the following criteria for your selected option.
|Option A: ADECL Full Qualification||Option B: Modularised Structure|
1The list of ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education will be determined by ECDA, and will be subjected to review periodically. Some examples of current ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education are:
2The number of years of trained teaching experience will be calculated from the date the applicant is conferred or awarded the ECDA-recognised diploma in early childhood care and education. All trained teaching experience has to be within the Early Childhood sector.
3Further information on options to enrol can be found in the next section under ‘About the Pre-requisite Courses’.
There are three pre-requisite short continuing professional development (CPD) courses which ADECL nominees have to typically complete 3 months before course commencement.
|No.||Pre-requisite Course to be Completed||Remarks|
|1.||Developing a Professional Portfolio for Educators (DPPE) (new!)||
|2.||Essentials of Leadership (ESLP) (new!)||
|3.||Mentoring 201: Bringing Out the Best in EC Educators||
Option A: ADECL Full Qualification
The nomination period for the 1st intake of the revised ADECL (commencing Apr 2023) is from 10 Oct to 25 Nov 2022.
*Late nominations will not be accepted.
If you have any clarifications or queries, please email email@example.com.
*Note: The SkillsFuture Study Award scheme has been discontinued from 1 Apr 2022 onwards. The Oct 2021 intake was the last intake for the study award.
Option B: Modularised Structure
The projected application period for the Post-Diploma Certificate (PDC) in Educational Leadership I (PDC 1 of the revised ADECL) as a CPD course for Apr 2023 intake is in Jan 2023.
Please see https://niec.edu.sg/courses/advanced-diploma-in-early-childhood-leadership-adecl/ for details on the application period for the Post-Diploma Certificate (PDC) in Educational Leadership I (PDC 1 of the ADECL) as a CPD course.