Teacher Certification

To be certified as a teacher or educarer in kindergartens and childcare centres in Singapore, you must meet the professional, academic and language requirements of the respectiv​e certi​fication category.
The teacher certification levels indicate the age group of children you can be deployed to teach.  For
more information on the different categories, please refer to the 
Requirements for Teacher 

For a list of Acceptable Alternatives in place of GCE "O" level English language / 2nd language, please
refer to the following documents:

 English Language Acceptable Alternatives ​​​​​ Work with children 18 months - 6 years
• Chinese Language Acceptable Alternatives Work with children 18 months - 6 years
• Malay Language Acceptable Alternatives Work with children 18 months - 6 years
• ​Tamil Language Acceptable Alternatives Work with children 18 months - 6 years

To apply for Teacher Certifica​tion, please click here if you possess a local Early Childhood Qualification.​

To apply for Teacher Certification, please click​ here if you possess a foreign Ea​rly Childhood Qualification.​​​

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Applying for Teacher Certification

1.     How do I apply for teacher certification?  

         Applications for teacher certification can be submitted to the Early Childhood 
         Development Agency (ECDA) through the childcare centre/kindergarten at which you are 
         currently employed. 

2.     What are the requirements for teacher certification?

         In order to be certified by ECDA, applicants must meet the professional, academic 
language requirements for the respective certification levels. Details of the requirements 
         can be found 
here For applicants with foreign qualifications, their qualifications must be 
         assessed as equivalent or exceeding ECDA’s requirements for teacher certification, and is           
         subjected to ECDA’s periodic reviews.

3.     How long does it take for a teacher certification application to be approved?

        It generally takes up to 25 working days for an application with a complete set of 
        supporting documents to be approved.  Centres and teachers will be notified of the 
        outcome via email.  

        Once the application is approved, a Letter of Notification will be uploaded in the teacher’s 
        ONE@ECDA account.  

4.     I have a foreign Early Childhood qualification.  I am not sure if my qualification meets 
        the requirements for teacher certification.   

        You may make use of the self-assessment template  to assess if your early childhood 
        qualifications is sufficiently aligned to our ECDA-approved early childhood programmes. 

        Please note that the results of the self-assessment may not reflect the actual outcome of the 
        teacher certification application. An application for teacher certification would still have to be 
        submitted through ONE@ECDA system for ECDA’s *assessment.

       * ECDA periodically reviews our assessment criteria to ensure standards meet current needs.

5.     I am holding a local Early Childhood qualification.  I am not sure if my qualification 
        meets the requirements for teacher certification.

        You may refer to the list of approved local Early Childhood qualifications for teacher 
 which is available on our ECDA website.  


6.     I have lost my Letter of Notification (LON).  Where can I obtain a copy?

        You may log in to your ONE@ECDA account using SingPass. Your LON can be found under 
        the “Documents” tab.

.     Can my Montessori qualification be recognised for Teacher Certification? 

        ECDA-approved early childhood programmes are designed to train early childhood 
        educators to provide a quality preschool education for pre-schoolers through a holistic 
        approach. Qualifications focused solely on the Montessori approach are therefore not 
        for Teacher Certification.​

Using ONE@ECDA for Teacher Certification

7.     How do I apply for access to ONE@ECDA as a teacher?

       There is no need for teachers to sign up for an ONE@ECDA account.  Your account will be 
       created by ECDA when your centre/kindergarten submits your particulars to ECDA as part  of 
       licensing/registration requirements.  You will receive a notification email when your account is 
       set up.

8.     I am the Centre Administrator.  I have no access to ONE@ECDA.  How do I apply for 

        Centres can complete and submit a Centre Administrator nomination form to ECDA at 
        contact@ecda.gov​.sg. This form can be found at ECDA website


9.     My Centre Administrator has left the centre.  How do I terminate his/her access to 

        To revoke a Centre Administrator’s account, centres can complete and submit a Centre 
        Administrator nomination form 
Teacher Certification to contact@ecda.gov.sg. This form can be found at ECDA          
        website (https://www.ec​da.gov.sg/Operators/Pages/ONE@ECDA.aspx​​).


Other queries related to Teacher Certification

10.   I have a query not found in this FAQ.  Who I can write to? ​

         You may send your query to teachermatters@ecda.gov.sg​​​​​​. 

Information updated as at  24 August 2018​​​
Back to Top