The ADECT programme aims to deepen the pedagogical knowledge and skills of experienced Pre-school Teachers, and prepare them for the role of teacher leadership1. It is a part-time programme offered by the National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC), and there are two intakes a year (April and October).
Early childhood (EC) educators may select one of the following options to enrol2:
1. Option A: ADECT Full Qualification
2. Option B : Modularised Structure
Successful ADECT (Full Qualification) candidates may apply for the SkillsFuture Study Awards (SFSA) for EC Sector. To find out more about the SkillsFuture Study Award for EC Sector, click here.
1An early childhood educator who takes on teacher leadship is focused on developing high quality teaching and learning within his/her centre and/or the sector. The early childhood educator is a pedagogical change agent, building teaching and learning capacity through bringing to the fore effective teaching and learning practices. He/She is proficient in facilitating learning, doing so through various means such as professional/netoworked learning communitites.
2Further information on options to enroll can be found under ‘Programme Details’.
The ADECT aims to equip experienced Pre-school Teachers with skills and competencies to:
1. Evaluate issues and practices in early childhood services with the understanding of research in pedagogy and curriculum
2. Provide leadership in the design and implementation of a holistic curriculum and the development of teaching and learning practices
3. Lead in the review of pedagogy, practices,curriculum design, and assessment for the holistic development of children
4. Foster a culture of reflectiveness, collaboration, continuous learning and professionalism
5. Develop and lead teachers in partnerships and sustained collaboration with stakeholders
Option A: ADECT Full Qualification
Option B: Modularised Structure
• Be ECDA-certified as a Level 2 pre-school teacher
• Have completed an ECDA-recognised diploma in early childhood care and education3
• Have at least 3 years of trained teaching experience4
3The list of ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education will be determined by ECDA, and will be subjected to review periodically. Some examples of current ECDA-recognised diplomas in early childhood care and education are:
1. Diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education – Teaching (DECCE-T)
2. Diploma in Child Psychology & Early Education (CPEE)
3. Diploma in Early Childhood Education (ECH)
4. Diploma in Preschool Education – Teaching & Leadership (DPE- T&L)
5. Specialist Diploma in Preschool Education (SDPE)
6. Specialist Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (SDECCE)
7. Diploma in Early Childhood Studies (ECS)
8. Diploma in Psychology Studies with Specialist Diploma in Early Childhood Teaching
9. Diploma (Conversion) in Kindergarten Education Teaching (NVKET)
10. Advanced Diploma in Kindergarten Education Teaching (ADKET)
11. Diploma in Early Childhood Studies (SIM)
12. Diploma in Early Years Teaching
13. WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (WSQ PDECCE)
14. WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (Childcare) (WSQ&PDECCECC)
15. Diploma in Preschool Education - Teaching (DPE-T)
4The number of years of trained teaching experience will be calculated from the date of the applicant is conferred or awarded the ECDA-recognised diploma in early childhood care and education. All trained teaching experience has to be within the Early Childhood sector.
Option A: ADECT Full Qualification
Option B : Modularised Structure
Experienced teachers keen to obtain a full qualification in the ADECT programme.
Graduates of the ADECT programme can assume the role of a Lead Teacher after graduation, as long as there is a vacancy available at a centre.
Experienced teachers keen on learning about fundamentals of EC leadership through a modular course.
• Enrolment into the full ADECT programme to complete 2 Post-Diploma Certificates (PDCs) and 120 hours of electives from the approved list of modular courses.
• A Certificate, issued by the respective polytechnic, will be awarded upon successful completion of each PDC.
• Upon successful completion of the 2 PDCs and 120 hours of electives within the 2-year maximum candidature period, the candidate will be conferred the ADECT by the respective polytechnic.
• Enrolment into PDC 1 as a Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
• A Certificate for the Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership will be awarded upon successful completion of PDC 1.
• Upon completion of PDC 1, those who wish to complete the full ADECT will have to submit a new application for enrolment into the ADECT programme.
• After being admitted into the ADECT programme, candidates would have to complete PDCs 2 within 2 years to be confeered the ADECT by the respective polytechnic.
180 hours for PDC1
Mode of Application
Online application at selected polytechnic only.
Online application at selected polytechnic's website only.
Approved List of Electives
Refer to attachment for further information on the approved list of Modular Courses that are recognised as electives for the ADECT programme. Please note that the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership (PDC), found on page ix of Annex C, is the first PDC of the ADECT programme, and will not be considered an elective (and will not be computed as part of the 120 hours requirement).
Please be informed that commencement of each elective is dependent on the demand for the course.
The list of electives will be updated regularly with new modular courses. Please download ECDA’s prospectus for the latest update.
APPLICATION PROCESSOption A: Full Enrolment into the ADECT
Educators who are keen to pursue the ADECT programme may apply at National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC) website.
Option B: Enrolment into the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership
EC educators who are keen to pursue the Post-Diploma Certificate in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership (PDC 1 of the ADECT & ADECL programmes) as a CPD course may apply at National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC).
Vacancies for candidates to pursue the PDC in Fundamentals of Early Childhood Leadership as a CPD course are subject to availability, and will be based on the demand for full enrolment into the ADECT and ADECL programmes.
For queries regarding application for the ADECT, please email ADECT@ecda.gov.sg, or contact National Institute of Early Childhood Development (NIEC) at email@example.com.